FIRST LEGO League Junior in Minnesota (MN FLL Jr.) is part of an international robotics program that includes teams from 13 countries.
Designed for kids grades K-4, teams work together to discover how science and technology impact the world around them. Guided by adult coaches, teams work with LEGO elements to build a motorized model and create a Show Me poster related to their research of a yearly theme. FLL Jr. captures the interest of our youngest learners. Start your team today!
The Challenge is thematic, changes yearly, and has two parts – the LEGO® Model and the Show Me Poster. Teams of 2-6 students meet once per week for 6-8 weeks. This hands-on program is focused on building an interest in science and engineering in children ages 6-9 and capturing a child’s natural curiosity.
- Show Me Poster
Teams research the current Challenge theme, and display their findings on a Show Me Poster.
- LEGO Model
Using all LEGO elements, teams will design and build a model correlating with the current Challenge theme that contains both a simple machine and a motorized part.
- Core Values
The 6 FLL Jr. Core Values introduce the concepts of being a team, discovery and Gracious Professionalism.
- FLL Jr. Expos
The culmination of the hard work for many teams is their participation in a MN FLL Jr. Expo. Volunteer Reviewers will interview the teams to learn about their LEGO Model and Show Me Poster.
This hands-on program is focused on building an interest in science and engineering in children ages 6-9 and capturing a child’s natural curiosity. Visit the national FLL Jr. webpage for more program details.
FLL Jr. teams come in all shapes and sizes, however, the basic requirements are:
- 2 adult coaches
- 2-6 participants between the ages of 6-9 (approximately Kindergarten – 3rdgrade)
- Teams may be of mixed age and gender
- Teams DO NOT need to be formed by a school or organization. It can be just a group of friends!
FORMING A TEAM
How to find participants and coaches
- Hold an informational meeting at your school or organization in the spring or early September to gauge interest
- Recruit coaches and/or co-coaches. Two coaches per team and no experience is necessary! Coaches only need a desire to learn, have fun and work with the kids, NOT a background in engineering or computer programming.
REGISTERING YOUR TEAM
Registration is a two-step process: register nationally THEN locally
- National Registration with FIRST opens yearly in May
- MN Registration with High Tech Kids opens on October 8th. Teams must be registered nationally before registering locally
FINDING AN EXISTING TEAM
Due to our partnership with FIRST we are unable to place children on teams or share coach contact information.
|National Registration Opens||May|
|Minnesota Registration Opens||October 8|
|Minnesota Expos||November – March|
|World Festival Expo||April|
Teams typically meet once per week for approximately 1-1.5 hours.
The average cost for Team of 6: $58/student.
|LEGO® WeDo 2.0 Core Set||$180|
|LEGO® Base Plate||$15|
|FIRST ® National Team Registration and Inspire Set||$99|
|High Tech Kids Minnesota Regional Expo||$50|
The average cost for Team of 6: $25/student.
|FIRST ® National Team Registration and Challenge Kit||$99|
|High Tech Kids Minnesota Regional Tournament||$50|
TEAM SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS
High Tech Kids offers a very limited number of scholarships to Minnesota teams. Please see the scholarship and grant page for details regarding the current opportunities.
High Tech Kids, in partnership with FIRST, brings FIRST LEGO League Junior to Minnesota.