Policy on the Use of High Tech Kids Trademarks and Copyrighted Materials
Intent of the Policy
High Tech Kids (HTK) own valuable assets in the form of trademarks and copyrights. HTK are legally entitled to restrict any unauthorized or commercial use of these assets. Furthermore, as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, HTK is required by corporate and tax law to limit the commercial use of its intellectual property. HTK works in partnership with The United States Foundation for Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST®) as the official regional partner to provide the FIRST® LEGO® League and FIRST® Tech Challenge programs in the state of Minnesota. Recognizing their joint interest in allowing FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®), FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®), and supporting organizations to promote their activities, HTK has developed this policy to permit limited non-commercial use of their trademarks and copyrighted materials.
What Intellectual Property does this Policy Cover?
This Policy covers trademarks and copyrighted materials that are owned by HTK.
- Trademarks. The names and logos that identify our products are categorized as:
a. Word Marks – such as BUILD. CREATE.THRIVE.TM
b. Logos – graphics that identify High Tech Kids, such as the Gear with three students
c. Other trademarks – symbols or other representations of the organization or brand.
- Copyrights. The copyrighted materials are too numerous to specifically list. They include all written materials, designs, web information, promotional material, forms and all content related to the programs HTK has partnered with to provide its programs (FLL Jr, FLL, and FTC) in the state of Minnesota.
Who may use these Trademarks and Copyrighted Material?
HTK does not license the use of material in connection with any paid or unpaid advertising or by commercial entity or commercial purposes.
- Registered HTK Teams and HTK Participants. May use HTK trademarks (word marks and logos) and copyrighted material to conduct activities related to a HTK program (i.e. an FTC team conducting outreach) as long as they use any revenue to underwrite their cost of participation in HTK programs and use the Disclaimers. They do not have to obtain advance permission or provide advance notice to HTK.
- Non-profit entities other than registered HTK participants and teams are not permitted to use HTK trademarks, however the use of copyrighted material is permitted with written permission by HTK by which they agree to:
a. Use the funds generated to support nonprofit efforts and activities supported by HTK,
b. Indemnify HTK for any and all claims and costs arising from the activity,
c. Use the Disclaimers (below);
d. Be willing to abide by other provisions set forth by HTK specific to the circumstances.
- Commercial entities that are supporters of HTK affiliated teams or programs may use HTK trademarks, only to identify them as supporters (not to promote or sell commercial goods or services) and it is clear from their use that they are doing so to show that they are a support of HTK programs in Minnesota.
- HTK Tournament partners are permitted to use HTK copyrighted material within the duration and conditions of their agreement with HTK, without separate notice to HTK or additional indemnification, as long as:
a. The funds generated are used to support HTK teams and programs in accordance with their agreement.
b. All HTK trademark and copyrighted rights are reserved.
HOW is the HTK material to be used?
Trademark Dos and Don’ts
- Use marks with text only. Example: BUILD. CREATE. THRIVE.TM ;
- Separate HTK trademarks from other names,
- Use marks in plural or possessive form (HTK’s);
- Use with a hyphen and must never be divided;
c. Stylize the trademarks.
WHICH Disclaimers should we use?
The disclaimers for the User of any Trademark under this Policy must be in English, identify the specific mark(s) being used and state the following:
High Tech Kids and HTK are registered trademarks of High Tech Kids (www.hightechkids.org)
The Disclaimers for the Use of Copyrighted Material under this Policy must be in English as follows:
©2017 High Tec Kids. Used by special permission. All rights reserved.